Guest post by Leisa Wheeler N.D.
Adrenal fatigue and thyroid dysfunction are two of the most commonly misdiagnosed and misunderstood conditions in the health world today. Stress, fatigue, anxiety, depression and weight gain are common to millions of people, yet the answers that they are looking for are not always that easy to find. Doctors prescribe anti-depressant medication, and advise to sleep more, eat less and exercise more to stave off the fatigue and to lose weight – but this advice does not work! If you suffer any of the symptoms of adrenal and thyroid exhaustion, it would be worth your while to explore these books and see how you can heal these conditions naturally!
These are the top five books on adrenal and thyroid health:
1) Hormone Heresy; Dr Sherrill Sellman N.D. – a very inspiring and informative book that every woman needs to read. Not only discussing hormones and the issues that come with hormone imbalance, Dr Sellman takes you through the modern hormone disrupters and how they can negatively influence your health.
2) Iodine Why Need It Why You Can’t Live Without It;
Dr. David Brownstein – iodine deficiency is prevalent in Western countries, and with our culture not having a traditional sea vegetable dish as they do in many traditional societies, we are suffering with an epidemic of iodine deficiency. Iodine is needed not just for thyroid and adrenal function, but is required for many areas of the body – the skin, ovaries, uterus, breasts, prostate, stomach and brain. It is essential for hormonal health and balance.
3) The Great Thyroid Scandal and How To Survive It;
Dr Barry Durrant-Peatfield – a fantastic and very educational book on thyroid dysfunction, with a comprehensive look at how the thyroid gland can become underactive, what the symptoms are, and how to successfully treat it. It is well written and easy to understand. A must read for anyone with a thyroid or suspected thyroid disorder.
4) Your Guide to Metabolic Health; Dr. Gina Honeyman-Lowe & Dr. John C. Lowe – the late Dr Lowe was one of the foremost experts in the world on thyroid problems, specifically addressing fibromyalgia, which he understood to be a thyroid related condition. This is an excellent book for the layman, taking you through the issues that come with an underactive thyroid, and how this is a complete metabolic problem, not just a stand-alone issue. Easy to read and packed full of great information. Highly recommended.
5) Adrenal Fatigue The 21st Century Stress Syndrome;
Dr James L. Wilson – this would have to be my number one book of all time on fatigue, especially adrenal fatigue. Dr Wilson is an absolute genius, and this book covers everything you need to know about adrenal fatigue and more! It is very comprehensive and covers adrenal function, signs and symptoms, and not only advises on healing foods, supplements and herbs, but speaks a lot about the emotional component and lifestyle issues that can lead to adrenal disorders. If there is one book you need to read on adrenal fatigue, this is the one!
Adrenal and thyroid dysfunctions can have a very debilitating effect on your quality of life, so if you think this could be an issue for you, there is nothing more important than educating yourself, and arming yourself with as much knowledge as possible!