Why do we need a detox?
Detoxification is a process that your body undertakes every day to help eliminate toxins and restore a healthy balance. It’s a completely natural process.
So technically, we don’t need a detox.
However, like all body processes, in today’s world, there are too many toxins and often, not enough nutrients in our bodies for the toxins to be effectively eliminated.
So how do you know if you need a detox?
1. You have a terrible sweet tooth.
Sugar is addictive. The more you have, the more you need. That’s because the opiate effect of sugar wears off over time. Fortunately, the reverse is also true, that the less you have, the less you want. But it takes a “pattern interruption” to do that. That’s why a regular “sugar detox” can be amazing.
2. Your gut is unhappy!
While food isn’t the only thing that affects the gut microbiome, it’s the most important one. Symptoms such as bloating, gas, and diarrhea are key signals that your digestion is not functioning properly. A detox will give your gut a break and will help you re-establish a healthy environment.
6. You are burnt out.
Being in a constant state of exhaustion is not normal. We call it adrenal fatigue. Tiredness is a type of stress on the body and can cause toxins to build up, making it more difficult for your body to deal with inflammation and for your digestive system to do its job. In fact chronic exhaustion can lead to all kinds of life threatening conditions. So a detox is in order.
5. You have a skin condition.
When the detox systems of the body get overloaded toxins build up and the body dumps them through the skin. Since your skin eliminates waste through sweating, skin conditions can be a sign your body needs to lighten to toxin load.
7. You have brain fog.
If you lack the ability to focus or struggle to remember various details on a regular basis, it could be brain fog. When your body can’t eliminate toxins fast enough, they build up and increase inflammation. Inflammation occurs in the brain as well as the gut causing mood problems, memory problems and fatigue. A detox will help flush out extra toxins and reduce brain inflammation.
8. You have sore joints.
Gut toxicity causes systemic inflammation which we often see as joint pain. Sore joints can be a signal that the gut needs a good detox.
11. You struggle to lose weight.
One of the first things I tell my clients is, “We need to get healthy to lose weight, not lose weight to get healthy.” Thyroid health, metabolism, the gut microbiome all need to be working well in order for you to lose weight. Too much toxicity adds yet another stress on the body and it goes into famine mode. A detox will help calm things down and support your weight loss goals.
12. Your cycle is irregular.
Hormones are particularly sensitive to the errors of our modern lifestyle. Many symptoms are often mistakenly attributed to hormones when in fact gut health and toxicity are contributing
13. Your breath and BO ain’t so fresh!
Since your body is always trying to eliminate toxins body odour is a sign that toxins have reached an overwhelming level. So put down the deodorant stick and pick up some green juice instead!
When might you REALLY need a detox?
Factors that increase the need to detox:
- If you have been sick or unwell for a while, taken antibiotics or other medications
- If you have frequent exposure to pollution and chemicals eg via work eg you’re a hairdresser or mechanic
- You’ve had increased exposure to new cars and new furniture or a new home
- Smoking, alcohol and coffee consumption – it’s crept up and you want to lower it
- You’ve been eating a diet high in industrialised fats, refined carbohydrates, processed and packaged foods
- You’re planning a family: Fertility and pre-conception care
- You’re overweight or obesity and need a gentle kick start again
- You haven’t done one for a while: Undertaking a regular detox may enhance your health and wellbeing, improving quality of life. Many people schedule a detox every six or twelve months for optimal health to help improve the balance between your body’s toxin burden and its detox capacity. By the end of your Detoxification Program you will be looking good and feeling great.
Join me for my next Detox and Nourish Online Challenge. You’ll get all the details here.